My Websites Aren’t Making Money – What Do I Do?
I get this question quite often:
“I have lots of websites and they’re not making me money. What do I do?”
I recorded this answer while I was in Paris.
Here are bullet points of what I suggest to do:
- Pick one of them and focus on it.
Pick the one where you can see the end from the beginning, where
you understand everything that it needs.
- Don’t try to convert random people to buying random things. Be Specific. Know who you’re trying to sell to.
- Self Replicated MLM or Mortgage or Real Estate sites don’t work. (or…I’ve never seen it work)
- Re-evaluate the effectiveness of the site you have. Study some
copywriting techniques and do things to increase conversions on your
site. Whatever you’re selling, give people a reason to buy it
(give incentives, tell them why it’s the best, it has a problem and I’ll solve it, …)
- Make sure your site only has one purpose. It has one goal when someone
comes to the homepage. Get rid of widgets unless they serve a purpose.
- Get traffic. Buy a little and see what happens. Don’t overspend. Don’t pretend to be macho with google adwords. Learn a little about it.
- A quick plan for getting free traffic:
- write an article and submit it to ezinearticles.com
- create a squidoo lens. put 2 pieces of content, link it to your site
- create a short video, submit it to tubemogul (and verify it worked)
If you built the sites following a blueprint or something, stick
with it for a bit before moving onto something else. Sometimes these
things just take time.
- Don’t give up! You’re going to fail some. This is a business.