Outsourcing Local Business Marketing Success Story: Derral
This is a great case study of how Derrel has used outsourcing to succeed in providing local business marketing services.
Derral has done a great job in setting up his business with outsourcing.
The quality of the video is pretty bad. The audio is much better.
It’s surprisingly difficult to get good video+audo recording in today’s world.
Here’s a summary of the case study.
- 1:15 – He does website design, programming, and SEO for people.
- 1:55 – the joys of internet connection problems
- 2:25 – problems with hiring local people to do the work for you
- 2:50 – Cultural differences with India
- 3:30 – A “Yes” in India isn’t the same as a “Yes” in the USA
- 5:20 – Copying and Pasting an email template
- 6:00 – How he filters people in hiring (this is really good)
- 8:00 – His experience giving a first task
- 8:45 – How much writing is possible…just don’t expect this
- 10:15 – Looking for a technical person (HTML, PHP, CSS)
- 11:00 – Giving leeway
- 11:25 – Another Filipino going above and beyond
- 12:15 – When Derral realized he had replaced himself
- 13:00 – Don’t find a jack-of-all-trades
- 14:10 – Kinds of people to hire <<-- Video quality gets much better here
- English Writer
- Technical person (programmer)
- 16:20 – how to test a programmer
- 17:30 – PHP is a more important skill than “wordpress programming”
- Graphic designer
- SEO (he talks about this at 25:55)
- Video Editing and video marketing (he talks about this at 26:20)
- 19:00 – filling their downtime to generate passive income
- 21:55 – Keeping people in stable work so they don’t look for other work
- 22:40 – Letting them finish something before starting something new
- 23:45 – What you can do when you have a programmer working for you
- 24:25 – Not outsourcing keyword research
- 26:45 – SEO takes time!!!
- 27:00 – How we both haven’t outsourced social media yet (if you have, please contact me!)
- 28:12 – When to get a project manager
- 30:00 – How much to be involved with the project manager
- 30:50 – using screen capture will make your life easier
- 31:40 – TREAT YOUR PEOPLE WELL!!!
- 32:30 – Giving praise
- 33:00 – Specific hiring tips (and an interruption)
- 34:00 – Contract work (freelancers) doesn’t work as well as hiring full-time
- 36:40 – Video works great for getting exactly what you want done
- 37:00 – Going from sceptic to success story!
If you have a Success Story, Please share it!. I want to hear about your success (and I’ll probably give you some free advice if you do).